Thursday 6 October 2011

So here are the things I need to learn...haggling

NB: Internet access isn't as accessible as I thought it would be. I'll have to make a more concerted effort to get my blogs out on time.

Things I need to learn to succeed in Nigeria:

1. How to Haggle

See, I have a completely different view of haggling. Not wrong, just different. For me, haggling is what you do whent the other person is obviously trying to cheat you, and you intend to pay no more than what the item is worth (if you're the buyer). Sounds simple right? One would assume.

However in my case, I don't automatically assume that the other person is trying to cheat me. If they quote a price that I actually find reasonable, I'm liable to just accept it.

Take my recent purchase of a car. I was in charge of buying a car for the house for anyone to use when they were around. So I did my research, tons of it, and visited dealerships looking for the perfect deal. I wanted a used car because frankly, I don't believe in new cars. I think their price tags outweigh their value.

Either way, I finally settled on a beautiful car: great brand, lots of add-ons, 3 yrs old, 10k miles, perfect service record...in other words, the holy grail of used cars. Did my research and got a good average price range for the model given the specs.

The price the dealer quoted me was within the range, though admittedly on the upper end. The car was in impeccable condition and suited my specific tastes (dark - not black - exterior, butter cream leather interior). Long story short, I gave him the asking price. To be fair, I got him to cover registration fees and throw in an extra three months warranty free.

Still when I came home, proud owner of a shiny new ---, my self-confessed aje-paco cousin was incredulous. How can you possibly not haggle? You actually paid sticker price?? Are you mad???

Haggling to her was a fact of life. Everyone is trying to cheat you. Everyone. That guy just walked away thinking you were the biggest idiot in town...and on and on.

Sheeesh.

In my view, if you set a price that's fair, I'll pay it. After all, we both need money, you probably have a family to feed, so what's my business?

Anyway this all came to a head last week when I was setting up my training contract with my future boss. I had a salary in mind, based on what my counterparts are making and what I need to live on. I actually thought it was a bit much, but it's what I'm worth.

Fast forward to a day before the meeting and I'm getting interview advice. When it comes to salary, they said, start with N---, calling a figure that I never dared think. Their mentality: your boss is definitely going to haggle and bring you down. No way is he going to pay you one kobo more than he absolutely has to, unless you fight for it.

Wow.

So the whole time up to the meeting I was struggling with how to bring up that figure and still sound like a credible person. It's not easy.

Finally we begin the meeting and it lasts almost three hours, talking about every possible aspect of the job and my duties. Finally finally, oga goes to me: so what are you thinking about salary?

There I am hemming and hawing and blushing and clearing my throat and finally I manage to utter: N----

Dude doesn't even blink! He says, hmmm that sounds alright, but what do you need so much money for? Unfortunately I hadn't gotten this far in my head, I never expected to actually say the number. I go on about uncertain future, wanting to keep options open, etc etc. Finally he just makes a note, says he'll have to talk with his partners, and he'll get back to me.

I left feeling confused. Where was the haggling battle I had mentally prepared myself for? Now it's just to wait till he approves or comes back with a counter offer that will undoubtably be equal to or greater than what I originally wanted.

All I can say is Thank God! Another day passes without me having to expose this criminal weakness of mine to the world: not being able to haggle. How unforgivable in this unforgiving country.

No comments:

Post a Comment